Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year and Routine is Good!

Well, it’s here, the last day of 2008. I noticed there was something unusually special about today. The sun came up as usual but the way it flickered on the window and the way the leaves outside the window touched it with it’s shadow was calling my attention. When taking the dog out for her two bathroom visits earlier, I had only noticed the chill in the air but yet it was pleasant. Nature seemed to be saying, I am at peace and being nature is what I do best. Before making coffee the cat had her usual greeting of hello, now feed me. The pet bird has been chirping and singing all morning as well.

Somewhere in the usual morning routine of feeding the animals, taking the dog out and making the coffee, I realized it is the last day of 2008. Usually, I reflect on the year’s events and my life in general on December, 31. I wonder if I will feel sad or happy or both today? I ponder whether I will be excited that tomorrow I will wake up to the new year and look to the future and life will be anew? Then, it dawned on me that probably tomorrow, on January 1, 2009, it will be like today with all it’s usual routine of waking, feeding the animals and making the coffee. When I think of the many blessings in the routine of the day, that routine is special when you think of the alternative. Anonymous author.

No comments: